KICK OFF 101 - EXPLOSION DRILLS By Paul Assad with illustrations by Anthony Montgomery (Lefty) and Kyle Stringer (Righty) Free Agent Specialist from Boise State.
TIMING AND EXPLOSION DRILL - Many Players fail to set up to kick as effectively as they could. This drill helps rehearse steps, timing and explosion with alignment, distance and break down of steps and position. Once you get momentum - step with even distance steps toward the plant position.
1. APPROACH THE BALL- Once you get momentum - step with even distance steps toward the plant position.
2. DRIVE STEP TO PLANT FOR KICKING OFF SET UP- The distance and alignment of the Drive Step can determine if a kicker can set up to explode and have a clearing lane.
3. PLANT POSITION BREAK DOWN - This is the timing aspect - with two feet break-down to explode from a set position. This will be down progressively next with one leg in the next phase.
4. EXPLODE - With both feet jump as high as you can. Plyometric Explosion thinking -
GET ENERGY FROM ENERGY - use the breakdown to assist your explosion.
5. PROGRESSION TO 1 LEG - This is the timing aspect - now one one leg shoot the kicking leg knee inside the ball downfield target the target lifting upward across letting the momentum pull the kicker off his plant step from a set position.
FOR MORE GREAT DRILLS AND INFORMATION OF KICKING, PUNTING AND LONG SNAPPING SEVICES VISIT PRO COLLEGE FOOTBALL.COM